Top Ten Tips for Planning a Low-Stress Move
There’s no such thing as a stress-free move. But planning ahead can make a huge difference. To ensure a smooth transition, the American Homeowners Association has come up with the ten most critical tips for making your move easier. Be sure to keep them handy, and refer to them often, to make your Big Day memorable for all the right reasons!
- Create a Master “To Do” List. Then mark your calendar for each task on the list.
- Don’t Take Your Old Junk Along With You. Take this opportunity to eliminate items you no longer need. Donating to homeless shelters or other charities is one great option. Organizing a garage sale is another.
- Finish Off Supplies That Don’t Travel Well. Good examples would be your lawn mower gasoline or household cleaning supplies.
- Create a Master Moving Guide. Using a printed layout of your new home, assign a number or color to each room. Then mark all boxes accordingly.
- Schedule Those Last Few Local Appointments. Make your final doctor, dentist and hair appointments shortly before you move. This way, you won’t feel stressed about finding a new provider while you’re still settling in.
- Notify Others of Your Address Change. Don’t forget to fill out a change-of-address card at your local post office, and to notify friends and creditors about the move.
- Keep Critical Documents Handy on Moving Day. Include your master moving guide, mover’s contact info, and your address book.
- Create a “Survival Box” For Those First 24 Hours. Don’t forget toiletries, light bulbs, linens and flashlights. And keep the box with you, in case you arrive before the movers do.
- Don’t Underestimate the Importance of Finding the Right Mover. That single choice will determine whether your treasured belongings arrive on time, in good condition, and at the agreed upon price. So start your search early, get at least 3 estimates, and compare each mover'’s insurance coverage.
- Get the Help You Need. Let AHA help you to:
• identify the right mover
• find the cash to remodel right away
• get organized in your new home
• decorate like a pro, with AHA’s Top 10 Quick Tips for Improving Your Home